Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Making Babies...

   Got your attention again?  Good!  Yes, this post is about making babies but probably not in the way you are thinking.  It's about the responsibility we have to the babies we make.  So beware, this is a topic I am very passionate about...
   I always think it funny when people are surprised at the things we expose our children to.  What do I mean by that?  I don't mean R rated movies, I don't mean internet with no guards in place, I don't mean leaving them home alone, I don't mean cable t.v. with no parental restrictions.  These are things, among many, that our children are allowed to be exposed to.  What I mean is homeless people, drunks, orphans, rotten-toothed people, poor people, sad people, drug abusers.  These are things my children are allowed to be exposed to.
   I have been pondering this, considering the mission trip we just took. Yes, as a family.  Countless people asked if we were taking our kids.  To me that's a no-brainer.  You see, God has blessed us (thus far) with 4 wonderful children.  But, as a mother, I not only see them as my children, I see them as future disciples.  They have been entrusted to my care for a short time.  I have to my very best everyday to not only equip for the world around them but also equip to further the kingdom.
   We have 3 sons and 1 daughter.  My sons are not only my sons.  They will one day be someone's husband and father.  My daughter is not only my daughter.  She will one day be someone's wife and mother.  I have to be sure to equip them to be the best they can be.  I have to pour goodness, love, time, patience, etc. into them.  Because, they will pour into their future family what I pour into them.  Take this serious friends!  It is so true!
   They are not only my children, but also God's children.  Aside from being sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, a wife and mother, they are and will be disciples of Jesus.  How will they learn that best?  If it is modeled for them, sincerely, by their parents.  Sincerely? Yes, sincerely!  We can't act one way around our "churchy" friends and then go home, shut the door and act completely opposite.  We must be genuine in our daily actions.
   There is no better place for my kids to learn the love of Jesus than to see it lived out.  And, where did Jesus live it out?  Everywhere, yes, but he went out into the world and shared that love and grace with everyone.  The hungry, ugly, sad, toothless, everyone.  So, where to best model that? Yep, with those people.  Talk is cheap.  Actions do speak louder than words.  Don't only teach your children the stories of Jesus, live them!
   I have known many preachers/pastors/ministers over the years, and am a daughter of one.  I have seen many of the men choose their ministries over their families, only to leave scars on the hearts of their children.  Thank God, my dad modeled and taught us that that is not the way it should be. Go back to Genesis and realize that God established families first before the church.  It is our jobs as parents to realize our first pulpit and ministry is to our families.  I want to encourage not discourage you for ministry.  But, don't forget your families in the process.  I love having my kids along side me as I minister to these people and see love lived out loud.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, excellent, and wonderful. I share the same missionary heart as yours. God bless you for being such a diligent believer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I feel the same way! after being a youth pastors for 7 years, one thing that was the hardest to deal with was the kids that would tell us they dont even believe in God because what they saw at home, from their parents, was different then what they saw at church! How do you combat that as a leader that only gets a few hours with them a week. children live what they learn and learn what they live and I am the only thing my children have to show them the real Jesus. We are preparing them for eternity and by exposing them to the love of Jesus, the way He would love, you are a living epistle to them. Really what ever way you choose to live they are watching.

    ReplyDelete