Tuesday, July 19, 2011

No soliciting allowed

   I love the story of George Mueller.  He was a man whose life represented well the "No Soliciting" sign.  If you know his story you may wondering what I mean by that. If you don't know his story, let me give you the short version.
   He was a man who lived in the 1800's.  God gave him the desire in his heart to love orphans.  He was not a wealthy man and had 2 shillings (50 cents) to his name when he decided this desire was gonna be his life mission. He started taking in children to his home.  When his home was busting at the seams, he decided he was gonna build orphanages and take care of more and more children.
   With only 2 shillings, I don't think that many people would even begin to think that they could feed and supply the needs of 1 child, much less build an orphanage in the future. He never asked man for the money that was needed.  He simply depended on God.  Over the years he not only did this for 1 child, but over 10,000 children. There were times when they didn't have anything to eat, but he knew that God would be the provider and meet their needs.  They would sit down at the table, give thanks (for food that wasn't there) and get a knock at the door where someone would be bringing them food.
   Mueller had made a decision that his faith alone would be in God for the provision and not in himself and how much soliciting or fund raising he could do to provide what was needed to take care of these kids.  Over time it wasn't that his wealth grew which allowed needs to be met, it was that his faith grew which allowed needs to be met.  God never failed them.  No one starved or was naked or uneducated.  God said here's your mission in life and Mueller had full faith in God alone to help him fulfill that mission and bless many, many lives.
   This is not a Bible story (for those of you who don't read or believe the Bible), this is a true story of an everyday man who had a God given burden and knew that with faith all things are possible.  This is how I want to live my life.  Jesus says in the book of Matthew to "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need."  Do you believe that?  I'm daily learning to and want to  challenge you to do the same.
   I have claimed this verse as one of many "life verses".  I want to practice this daily.  It seems sometimes my flesh doesn't want to practice it.  I find myself defaulting to flesh mode.  After quitting my job to follow a mission God laid on my heart, sometimes I see our needs and wonder how in the world we are gonna be able to afford them.  Then God reminds me of this verse.  But, I need to be sure that I am holding up my end of the deal.  That I am seeking His kingdom and living righteously.  If that's in check, then I must trust Him to provide our needs.  Jesus said that He would.  Am I really gonna doubt that?
   I have heard this verse my whole life, sang many different songs in church about this verse, but didn't really let it sink it.  Since I have really starting applying it to my life, God has never failed me.  Imagine that!  He provides the need, whatever it may be, before I can even ask.  I, too, have had people knock on my door to give me the very thing that I was in need of.  It is so awesome to see God's promises fulfilled daily.  I dare you  to depend on Him.
   When God places a burden in my life, I want to be a willing vessel.  When He reveals a mission for me to fulfill I need to be willing to do just that and fully expect Him to take care of the details.  I don't need to listen to the crowd telling me what to spend my time or money on. It's just stuff. It fades away. Making a difference is someone's life is lasting.  It never fades away.
   If God has laid a mission on your heart, say "YES!!". Don't listen to the voices telling you that you aren't equipped for that or that you can't afford it or that you couldn't possibly talk to "those" people. This is precisely when God shows up.  His strength works best in my weakness! Totally depend on Him! God will hold up His end of the deal! Will you?

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks Bethany. My Hubby and I are wanting to start our own landscaping business called : Young Creation Care & Landscaping. We r excited but scared- insurance, money, etc. But. He wont stay out of town overnight anymore on business, he would be happier and he would be more present with our son. We r praying about timing and $$ is the only thing holding us up. He has an awesome mentor who he could work with as long as he wants. God bless ya!

    ReplyDelete